What do you use the website for?

What do you use the website for?

Posted by John Day on Nov 28, 2012 11:59

Help us make the website work for you, by answering this couple of questions.  Feel free to include as much detail as necessary.

What do you usually use the website to do?
How do you typically do this?

Re: What do you use the website for?

Posted by Brian Heathcote on Jan 25, 2013 3:51

Mainly use the website for promoting our local network events and news (Local Network Community)
Lesser use - on a number of other IET "administrative " communities - very little traffic on these though..

Posted by Dominic Taylor on Feb 12, 2013 3:42

Publicizing local network events.

Posted by John Day on Feb 15, 2013 8:39

Dominic Taylor:
Publicizing local network events.
Thanks Dominic, but would you mind elaborating, please?

You've decided to publicise your LN event and you open up the IET's website.  What do you do next to achieve this?

Many thanks,
John

Posted by Dominic Taylor on Feb 17, 2013 1:00

I create an event, using the event editors area.  In doing so, I make sure it is displayed on:
- the local network page by ticking the appropriate box;
- the geographic events search by selecting the applicable area;
- any applicable TPN pages by ticking the appropriate subject matter boxes.

The event is then shown on the website the following day and included in monthly e-mails to local members.

Posted by Virginia Hodge on Feb 28, 2013 9:16

Keeping up to date with what's happening in the various public and private communities that I am a member of. Accessing papers for meetings of Boards that I am on. Virginia

Posted by John Day on Mar 1, 2013 8:26

Virginia Hodge:
Keeping up to date with what's happening in the various public and private communities that I am a member of. Accessing papers for meetings of Boards that I am on. Virginia

Hi Virgina, many thanks for the reply.

I'm also trying to establish what your journey is through the site; where you start, where you finish and everything else inbetween.

Think of it as a "what" and "how".  You've given me the "what" above, now I need the "how", which is almost as key as the "what", because that has a big impact on your experience of the site.

With that context in mind, would you mind elaborating for me, please?

Thanks,
John

Posted by Virginia Hodge on Mar 1, 2013 8:46

Hi John,

I log on, click on MyIET, click on Communities tab, Click on MyCommunity in blue on the RHS and then navigate to the particular area from there.  I might try and use the directory links on the LHS or possibly the search function to find what I want, but I don't tend to explore it very much.

Alternatively if I am accessing documents for, say Board of Trustees, I logon, click on MyIET, and then click on Board of Trtustees hyperlink on the RHS.

From both I then logoff.

Happy to have a longer discussion offline - kept this short as a summary to inform you and others - and hopefully also to see if there are other and better ways of navigating around.

Regards
Virginia

Posted by John Day on Mar 1, 2013 8:48

Thanks Virginia, that's really useful. :)

John

Posted by Russell Haines on Apr 8, 2013 3:27

Forgive the flippant answer but, genuinely, "as little as possible".

Finding anything always takes about three levels of redirection more than my patience can bear; it never remembers me between logins (unlike every other website on the web) and it generally, to use the technical term, drives me up the wall :-D

Posted by Jenny Yu on Apr 9, 2013 3:28

As the network webmaster, I post events and update Community news as necessary.
I upload files for collaboration and information, but had a hard time to convince the group to log in and access the files there. Instead, they asked me to send them the files directly.
Any suggestion as to how to motive others to give it a try?

Posted by John Day on Apr 9, 2013 7:23

Russell Haines:

Finding anything always takes about three levels of redirection more than my patience can bear; it never remembers me between logins (unlike every other website on the web) and it generally, to use the technical term, drives me up the wall :-D
Hi Russell,

Would you mind giving me some examples of where things are causing you grief, because that's exactly the point of this thread: to discover where our user experience falls down for people, so we can look into it?

The "Remember me" functionality did run into a few problems in recent weeks, but should now be fixed.  It's worth clearing your temporary internet files and cookies to make sure you're using the latest code.  Do let me know if you're still experiencing issues, however.

Many thanks,
John Day

Posted by Claudine Donnellan on Apr 9, 2013 11:12

Hello Jenny,

It's a good idea to use the community files area and encourage your members to go there to view them.

It may be that if the community is only used for file storage though that they don't feel there is enough to get them engaged.

I would suggest that you share content, news, blogs within your community and start discussions, encouraging your community to participate in other areas as well as files.

Also, do join other communities which are vibrant and see what others are doing as this may also give you inspiration

Hope this helps

Claudine

Posted by Jenny Yu on Jun 3, 2013 1:02

Hello, John,
I am trying to create a webpage that people on the internet (may not necessary members of IET) can search the webpage. The webpage is to promote the Hearn lecture that is taking place in a couple of months. I was thinking of creating that page with WordPress. But I need a host server. When I have created the page, am I able to post tha page through the host server of IET, or do I have to subscribe to another site to make it searchable for non-members?

Thank you in advance for your suggestion.
Regards,
Jenny

Posted by Christopher Jobling on Aug 29, 2013 5:22

Russell Haines:

I would second that ... and John Day, rather than asking members to detail the clicks through to get anything done, maybe you should do some proper user experience trials.

Posted by John Day on Aug 30, 2013 7:32

Christopher Jobling:
I would second that ... and John Day, rather than asking members to detail the clicks through to get anything done, maybe you should do some proper user experience trials.

Hi Christopher.

User testing is on the cards and this isn't intended to replace it.  This is intended as a complementary source of feedback, which can only strengthen any user testing which is conducted.

I hope this helps to clarify.

John Day

Posted by James Garrity on Aug 30, 2013 11:39

John Day:
Christopher Jobling:

Hi Christopher.

User testing is on the cards and this isn't intended to replace it.  This is intended as a complementary source of feedback, which can only strengthen any user testing which is conducted.

I hope this helps to clarify.

John Day
I am about to have a Victor Meldrew moment!

I've kept well out of the debate over the summer about the site after feeding back the issues I was having, and still have, with the site, but your comment has made me see red.

The IET are in the process of advising members about MyCommunity, in other words rolling it out, and now there is a hint that "User testing is on the cards", why wait so long to even consider user acceptance testing (UAT)?  UAT should have been on the project plan months ago.

Having been on several big IT projects over the last 30 years, UAT has always been used early on in the project and the feedback has really improved the final product.

The question has to be asked who is on the Project Board and why have they not managed this using any of the usual methodologies?

Posted by John Day on Aug 30, 2013 2:30

James Garrity:

I am about to have a Victor Meldrew moment!

I've kept well out of the debate over the summer about the site after feeding back the issues I was having, and still have, with the site, but your comment has made me see red.

The IET are in the process of advising members about MyCommunity, in other words rolling it out, and now there is a hint that "User testing is on the cards", why wait so long to even consider user acceptance testing (UAT)?  UAT should have been on the project plan months ago.

Having been on several big IT projects over the last 30 years, UAT has always been used early on in the project and the feedback has really improved the final product.

The question has to be asked who is on the Project Board and why have they not managed this using any of the usual methodologies?

Hi Sandy.

My apologies, I should have clarified.  I was referring to wider user testing across the IET web presence with a view to improving the whole, not specifically (but not excluding) MyCommunity as this discussion forum is for the IET website generally.

We ran user testing for MyCommunity towards the beginning of the project and several board and committee members were involved in both a focus group and task-specific user testing exercises.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, thank you for helping me clarify the point. :)

Kind regards,
John

Posted by Karla Smith on Dec 2, 2013 12:35

The main website - as little as possible.  One of my main gripes is that it's very hard to find anything.  And sometimes what I want to find isn't actually there (or alternatively I give up in frustration before finding it).  The search could do with some serious improvements.

I've been leaving MyCommunity logged in at work, and now check it most days (since my notifications are very hit and miss).   I mainly use it for IET committee stuff, it's the platform we use for all of the committees I'm on.

I'd really like to see a MyCommunity button next to the MyIET button on all pages, I think it would improve use/awareness of MyCommunity, and it would be a sensible location for it.

Some good feedback - I love the fact that I can now actually save my log in (dynamic IP addresses are standard fare here), so I appreciate that modification earlier this year :)

Posted by James Garrity on Dec 2, 2013 4:36

Hi Karla

I use Google to search most web sites, see an example below:

"how to make better tea" site:http://www.coffeeforall.com/

Regards

Sandy

Posted by Karla Smith on Dec 3, 2013 1:25

Yeah, I can use google, but when there is an IET search window, it makes sense to use it!  And it should actually work....

Posted by John Day on Dec 3, 2013 8:33

Thanks for your feedback, Karla, that's exactly the sort of input we need!

Might I ask what you were looking for and what you were searching for, in your reference above?

Many thanks,
John

Posted by Karla Smith on Dec 4, 2013 2:08

No worries :)

As for what I was searching for - a variety of things over the years!  Usually volunteer related, but I'm afraid I can't remember any specifics off the top of my head.  Sorry to not be of more use.

Karla

Posted by John Day on Dec 4, 2013 8:08

Karla Smith:
No worries :)

As for what I was searching for - a variety of things over the years!  Usually volunteer related, but I'm afraid I can't remember any specifics off the top of my head.  Sorry to not be of more use.

Karla

Ah, that's a shame but don't worry. :)

If you find anything in the future, please do let us know!

Thanks,
John

Posted by Marie Ricketts on Jan 28, 2014 10:17

Keeping up to date with news, MyCommunity and Myidea.
Sort: