Why you need to add keywords to your web pages - and how you should choose them.
Why you need to add keywords
The success of any internet campaign depends on the words typed into a search box – this is why you need to remember to include keywords.
Choosing the right keywords is not just about getting visitors to your page, but about getting the right kind of visitors. The usefulness of this intelligence cannot be overstated - with keyword research you can predict shifts in demand, respond to changing market conditions, and produce the products, services, and content that web searchers are already actively seeking.
How much is a keyword worth to your website? Well, if you own an online bakery, do you make more sales from visitors searching for ‘white bread’ or ‘wholemeal bread’? The keywords visitors type into search engines are often available to webmasters - and keyword research tools allow us to find this information.
Going back to our online bakery shop example, obviously the word 'bread' would be the best keyword to have here – wouldn’t it? For that term is bound to have A LOAD of people searching for it...
Well, the thing about the big, generic keywords is that - whilst they do have a lot of searches each day - they make up less than 30% of the searches performed on the web. The remaining 70%+ lie in what is called the ‘long tail’ of search.
The long tail searches contain hundreds of millions of unique searches that might be conducted a few times in any given day, but, when taken together, comprise the majority of the world's demand for information through search engines…
Long tail keywords also often get much better results, because they speak more directly to the user. A person searching for ‘bread’ could be looking to buy bread, looking for bread recipes, looking for images of bread, looking for DVDs about the terrible sit-com ‘Bread’ from the 1980s, etc. (Admittedly, that last one is unlikely...)
Whereas, it is much easier to discern what someone is searching for on a search term like ‘best price on cheese-topped floury baps’ – and for this reason, long tail keywords are often more helpful, because by adding specific search terms, you can better ensure your users have found your website rather than just stumbled upon it.
When compiling your keyword list, use a mix of generic and specific (long tail) phrases and try to put yourself into the mind of the users that you want to attract. Think about what words they’d put into a search engine to find your webpage – and give them what they want.